Sunday, April 08, 2001

sheesh. i'm out of shape. I dusted off the bike and brought it up from the basement this morning, and rode it to and back from Humanities. Now I'm going to ride it to the SERF, but my heart's still pounding. Uhoh. It's a good thing I'm going to do more exercise. ;)

What's the correct reaction when someone on the street you don't know makes a nasty comment toward you? Here's an example: I was going to get a bagel this morning for breakfast, wearing my UC Davis sweatshirt and feeling better good about being up as early as I was. This older man, standing out front of the store, says, "UC Davis?" And I nodded and smiled, and he says, "well, that sucks. Are you from California?" "yes" "Ugh, yuck" He was totally serious about it too. I didn't say anything else and just went in to get my bagel. Reflecting back on the whole issue, though, I wish I had stopped to talk to him and inquire more deeply into this hatred of my home state. Not in really any argumentative sense (although I did feel like calling him various bad names) but just out of curiousity. I'd say next time, but I doubt I'll get the opportunity again. Ah well.