Wednesday, May 26, 2004

hey everybody, i'm big tex

A quick update- Thanks to Chris for hooking me up with his friends in the area so that I could stay for free. Dollar fucked up my rental car reservation, and then informed me that they were entirely out of cars. I went around to all the other places and found one (E-Z) that was just as cheap as Dollar, and only charged $10/day for my under 25 year old ass, so in all, it ended up being a better deal. I have a Kia. It's nice, you know, CD player, etc. I can't complain.

Interviewed/talked with the dudes at Sachse (pronounced similar to Sexy, hee), a BRAND spanking new school with brand spanking new horns, etc, very nice place. They're going to hook me up with some middle school students as well as their high schoolers. I talked with Mike Brown, who is familiar with teaching in the area- the biggest and most exciting thing he told me is that I can write just about anything I buy off on my taxes. That means I can buy Sibelius (and if I join TMEA, it's 200 bucks less), a laptop, cds, music, etc...woo. Basically I employ myself and make my decisions about how to report to the IRS.

Tomorrow, two schools (Plano and Poteet- coolest name ever), and I'm going to go look at this amazing apartment I found with loft and huge kitchen. Squee. It's beautiful. 2 bed 2 bath, patio, etc, 915/mo. Damn. No state tax here, either. And gas is under 2 bucks! Dallas, I'm soooooo into you.

I'll have to do some sightseeing as well. I got a little lost on my way to Sexy Sachse, and saw a lot of cows. It's pretty so far...different than both San Diego and Wisconsin.

In other news, I'm extremely flattered that Ms Lauren at Feministe invited me to guest blog for her. I'm working on a post regarding Fanny Mendelssohn's Piano Trio and the feminist sonata form. Keep an eye on her blog for my cameo.

That's all for now!