Thursday, May 20, 2004

just a few things i want to do when I get to Dallas

1. Take a self-defense class. I've been itching to find one for a while now, but haven't had the money. I was hoping that Frogs would offer one (being as I can go to any of their classes for free as an employee), but unfortunately they don't. They do, however, have three different yoga classes and a pilates workout, which I will be attending next time around.

Self-defense in whatever form, I think, is important. I like to be on top of my game, physically and mentally, and to have control of a situation when I feel threatened or in danger. I can buff up in other ways (like Nick and I doing medicine ball routines at the pool), but I'd like to learn how to bring a man down, so to speak.

An interesting side note: I get bored with regular old exercise. So today, after doing a few sets of weight lifting with my mom's two five pounders (wow, that sounds bad), I decided to test my reflexes. Lying on the floor, I would throw one of the weights up in the air and roll to the side just in time to dodge it. So I wouldn't cheat, I made myself wait a split second after I threw it (see, I knew it was coming so it's easy enough to start your roll as you throw it). Hey, I'm pretty good. Next stop, James Bond school.

2. Find mandolin lessons. I've got my mandolin out right now (that also sounds bad), but all I can do is play the same five-ten songs over and over with my atrocious technique (skipping all the ones with chords). I'd like to do more, and learn well enough to improvise and play bluegrass with others.

3. Buy my own webdomain and spiff everything up.

4. Get Photoshop and make my own weblog banner.

5. Build a computer free of all Microsoft products I can avoid (Is Photoshop MS? This should be number 3. Oh well).

6. Brush up my french.

7. Volunteer at Planned Parenthood (in Texas especially they seem to be under vicious attack).

8. Learn how to arrange music, and fiddle around with composition. This requires a few more computer additions including Finale (or Sibelius...which do you prefer?), Cakewalk, etc.

9. Improve time management skills so that I can attempt to do at least three of the above items in addition to practicing, teaching, and sleeping.