Thursday, July 08, 2004

by request

For DeAnn, here are the answers to my July 6th post.

1. "My heart went cold and only hollow rhythms resounded from within"
-- Fiona Apple, Pale September
2. "He was wined and speeched and honored, everybody shook his hand"
-- Johnny Cash, Ballad of Ira Hayes
3. "What kind of scale compares the weight of two beauties: the gravity of duties, or the groundspeed of joy?"
-- Ani Difranco, School Night
4. "Land, land of liberty we're run by a constipated man, when you live in the past you refuse to see when your daughter comes home nine months pregnant"
-- Tori Amos, Sweet Dreams
5. "They'll beat him up until the teardrops start, he can't be wounded cuz he's got your heart"
-- Elvis Costello, Watching the Detectives
6. "Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it"
-- The Pixies, Where is My Mind?
7. "I want you always to remember for me, baby if you can, how much you hated the woman who made you a man"
-- Ani Difranco, Bubble
8. "Someday, we'll put it together and we'll get it all done"
-- Beth Orton, Oooh Child
9. "I am your failed husband contender, I'm your loan shark of bliss"
-- Jeff Buckley, Vancouver
10. "The sea takes us back too quickly, and I'm far from grounded. Now's the time to sail before the last tree falls"
-- Youngblood Brass Band, Culture: Envy: War
11. "His wicked sense of humor, suggests exciting sex"
-- Bjork, Venus as a Boy
12. "If I don't find it this time, then I'm better off dead"
-- PJ Harvey, My Beautiful Leah
13. "The song is ended, but as the songwriter wrote, the melody lingers on"
-- George and Ira Gershwin (sung by Ella), They Can't Take That Away
14. "Nowhere is no escape, only flailing arms and bellyaches
When it all started coming down, fight, or did you run and hide?"
-- Phantom Planet, Big Brat
15. "Please, let me forget all those sweet smiles, all of the passion, all of the peace, the heat, the pain"
-- Jewel, Don't
16. "And your hair is so dirty, it makes you look like you're thirty!"
-- The Donnas, Dirty Denim
17. "Political incapatability lead to their downfall"
--Johnny Cash, The One on the Left is on the Right
18. "And her conscious lit a cigarette, and just stood there, waiting for her to crack, waiting for her to fall"
-- Ani Difranco, Fierce Flawless
19. "I'd love to live in Paradise, I love my brothers on a Saturday night"
-- Blur, Crazy Beat
20. "For when she thought of summer rain calling for her mind again, she lost the pain and stayed for more."
-- Nick Drake, Riverman