Thursday, January 06, 2005

do you need permission to coin a phrase?

Submitted for your approval, I'd like to introduce a new concept to the English language: the Radagast the Brown Award.

Recipients must meet the following category: possession of a random tidbit of knowledge related to something geeky, fantasy/sci-fi novels or sagas in particular. Tidbit must be offered up for conversational consumption without prior thought or brain-searching.

The original Radagast the Brown Award (and the inspiration for its name) goes to yours truly. On the way to Madison Jason was trying to remember the name of the wizard in LOTR that helped Gandalf in the first book, and dealt with animals as his magical specialty. Without batting an eye, I said, "Oh, Radagast the Brown."

In conjunction with the award I also received Jason's patented corner-eye glance, the one that says, "wow, Lorn, that was...um...impressive."

The second Raddie goes to Manoj, for his referencing of Ser Barristan Selmy from A Game of Thrones. Of course, I get a lesser award for knowing who he was talking about, but my achievement is lessened by the fact that I only just read the book last month.

As I recall, numerous Raddies went to Dan whilst we visited in Madison, but I can't for the life of me remember what deserved them.

Are there any further nominations?