Sunday, October 12, 2003

ooom= pah?

Nat McIntosh is playing sousaphone in my head, I swear. I can't get any of his licks to stop roaming around in my mind. It prevented me from sleep for at least two hours.

No seriously folks, that was awesome. It would have been even awesomer if they'd actually been headlining, as opposed to covering for some stupid jam band from SF. Joe said they are trying out a new booking agent and that he's been doing some stupid things. Grrr. So they only played for about an hour, but boy were they on fire (as always). Mostly they played new stuff and it all sounds awesome. I have the new cd, center:level:roar, which I would definitely listen to right now if I could guarantee that I wouldn't' be wide awake for the next 72 hours.

Actually I might go see them again today, as they are playing around 2ish at Oktoberfest (chhheye, Ia'm Kaahrl Straauhss) and Joe said he would call me if he could get me a free ticket. But it's only five dollars so I think I can manage---especially since he put me "on the list" last night!! Hehe. I've never been "on the list." I thought that was especially awesome. I think he felt bad that we came out for a big show and they were restricted. Anyway, I made a fan out of Dan (he bought both Unlearn and the new one), and even Josh Chappie and Shaun Haber looked amused (i think the kicker was when Nat started doing his thing. You know, the thing with the crazy whack tuba playing...).

Man, it was a good show though. I mean, it would have been better in Madison, for sure---but what was awesome about last night was that we were so close and it was kind of like getting a private show. My left ear hurts-well my earplugs should be arriving soon in the mail to prevent this from happening again-but it's the price you play for getting to see how tightly that band runs, how they know everything perfect and how extremely talented they all are. This is new music folks! Go check it out if you haven't already.

(now, I have to start plotting my evil plan in which I knock off the other trombonist and get Joe to get Nat to ask me to join the band. eeeexcellllent.)