Tuesday, October 07, 2003

say anything

I have to say that the most beautiful movie I have ever seen is The Red Violin. Such artistry. True filmmaking, in my opinion. Such a seamless story with such great interplay and buildup...it is beyond words, such a gorgeous gorgeous film.

Anyway, I'm off to a rehearsal tonight for a band called Saturn's Day. They are kind of funkish like Googaloo, only as of now I think I'm the only horn player and they are expecting me to come up with some licks and all. I'm listening to their cd now; it sounds very good so it should be a nice experience. However I'm not sure how creative I am feeling--but maybe it'll be better once I get my horn in hand.

I have been playing quite a lot since I fixed my embouchure problem, and it's really nice. I think I will definitely give a recital sometime before the year is out, or early next year Januaryish. So people are home and can come. I'm not really picking out too much rep--instead I've pulled up some old pieces to work up. These I also plan on using for grad school auditions. Sean and I were supposed to meet tomorrow night, unfortunately he had to cancel as he's subbing for the Redlands symphony. Ah well. Not my only disappointment of the day:

The lifeguarding gig called---they are postponing water tests and interviews at this time. Until hopefully sometime in the next few weeks. Ahem. Gr. Arrrgh. Is this not, is this not, the stupidest thing you have EVER heard? I mean, first off, they didn't process the aps for three weeks. Then when they called for an interview, it was scheduled a week later. Now, it's all on the fly again. So what I'm wondering is, who do they think is applying for this job? It must be mostly high schoolers, people they think they can keep waiting or something. It's ridiculous. I guess if I hang on long enough and get a job maybe no one will be left as competition. Still, it was promising and I liked the idea of having limit work commitment so that I could practice more. ARRGH. Well whatever. They obviously have their heads up their asses.

Oh yes, and I voted today. No against the recall, and for the green party guy, Peter Camejo, in case the recall goes through. Of course he won't win but I really didn't want to vote for Arnold or McClintock or Bustamante because they all appear to be assholes. The upside of it is, of course, that I got an "I voted" sticker. So everything's alright in the end.