Friday, October 03, 2003

Well I have had a productive morning!!

Let's see: I have organized, somewhat, my graduate school stuff. At least I kind of know what I need to prepare and all. So my list is as follows:
Indiana University
UW (of course, the more I miss it the more it becomes appealing)
Univ of Michigan
DePaul (oooo chicago)
ASU (kickass music building)
USC--this I am skeptical on but Sean really recommends Terry Craven as a teacher so what the heck.

I'm wondering if I should expand my options a little and look outside of the US. But what I'm hoping is that maybe these options will open up to me as I experience a little more of the professional world, and, hopefully, get taken more seriously as a trombonist. So I think for now I will stay here. I'm kind of excited about what will be known henceforth as the "Midwest Tour" in which I will schedule my auditions for UW, IU, UM and DePaul in the same time period and thus get to visit the Madison kids, Katie, Grant, and maybe Val respectively. Or anyone else in Chicago. The exciting part is that I have a place to stay at all of these schools so it will be fun. yes. fun. :) If only I could rent a car!!! gr.

Also, I polished up my letter to the local middle schools about teaching and sent it off to Sean to have him proof it. I stopped by RBHS last night and got from him a list of all (ALL) the schools in CALIFORNIA (what the fuck), and now I must muck through this ENORMOUSLY LONG LIST and find the ones in SAN DIEGO. Well they have addresses and all. I was pissed off immensely when, after I had finished copying all FIFTY pages I realized that the stupid ^@*%^~@%^$ band office copy machine had continously been cutting off the left hand side of the page, thus depriving me of one third of ALL THE SCHOOLS IN CALIFORNIA. So I ran through and just wrote down the ones in SD. The band office copy machine has been doing this to people since forever. Since I had to copy stuff for marching band and pep band and all the things in between. You'd think it'd be time...but well, arts education, haha, has no money.
Anyway, once Sean sends that back to me I can send it out to ALL THE SCHOOLS IN SAN DIEGO and hopefully get some students. And maybe some coaching gigs.

I also am applying for a job at Bernardo Heights Middle School (my alma mater) as a music assistant. Woohoo! It looks like fun: I get to do some conducting and chamber stuff, and basically just assist. In the production of music. Of course it is a middle school band and occasionally I have memories of the terrors we inflicted in middle school upon our poor director. Hm. Well, it's a job anyway.

Last night was Googaloo rehearsal. Only we didn't really rehearse. We went to Adam's house and goofed off, basically. Adam wanted to clean up some charts and put some four-part harmony in, since we have added to the horn section Pierre, on tenor. He's french! He has a french accent! I think he might be scared of us. I told all my naughty jokes to Lenny, since we were pretty bored. We played with rubber chickens. Adam burned me a Poncho Sanchez-Freddie Hubbard cd. And a Johnny Cash cd but I get that next week. It was quite fun and I feel refreshed and like I have friends, or at least goofing off partners, whom I will see at least once a week.

Well, I'm still stuffy headed and going swimming is unappealing. I think I will do yoga instead, and call that my exercise for today.