Monday, February 16, 2004

are you at home now? with your kitty-kat?

it's not my home and it's not my kitty-kat, but it is now. Or something. Davis is off to school and I'm just hanging out in her apartment, playing with Maggie, who is hilarious and frisky. A combination that is quite entertaining in a young cat. She's bored, I think. She keeps climbing up on my leg and mworwing, but she has food and she doesn't want to cuddle. We've played. We've petted. I can only do so much, cat! ;)

It's nice today, to be relaxed and have some time to myself. I think I will do yoga and practice a little. Not too much. Mark Fisher gave me some great advice on breathing, and I will just warmup enough to reinforce that (if you're curious: I've been told to treat my horn as if it were a breathing apparatus, ie similar to a BERP, because I am not translating the work I do on my toys to my actual horn. Also, to make a LOT of noise when I breathe, and not to "apologize" for breathing. It's fantastic advice, and I'm eager to put it to work at my McGill audition). Mostly I've just been catching up on blogs and such. There are two posts at WHB that I would love to address, but it might be a while.

Davis has an insane amount of feminist books, and I'm itching to steal them. Mwahahaha. However, I will pay a visit to A Room of One's Own whilst in Madison, where I want to pick up Derrick Jensen's A Language Older Than Words, some Audre Lorde, Toni Morrison, Shere Hite, Robert Graves' The White Goddess and anything else I can get my hands on. For limited cash. It would actually be cheaper at Amazon, so I will make a list of stuff I didn't get and add it to my wishlist. Sigh. If only I had a rich benefactress. Exclusive Company is also on the shopping list, with the new Ani album and Desert Sessions on the list.

Okay, the cat is freaking out. Wow.

And I'll tell you a Buddha Stew secret. I'm excited to go to Montreal and find one of the sex shoppes that makes Canada so cool. Stop dissin' Canada everyone (who has recently dissed Canada to me-Mr UMich Marching Band guy on the train to Chicago, that means you), because Canada rocks. Anyway, I suppose I could always go to A Woman's Touch in Madison (and doesn't Madison just kick serious ass for having both AROOO andAWT? you bet it cuntlovin' does), but Montreal! Sex Shoppes! French speakers! Hurray!

Places I really really really REALLY must be this year:

March for Women's Lives in D.C. April 25th. MUST GO! Marisa called me on Thursday to say I had to go, as she is. Well, good for you, being an eastie and driving there. Argh. Anyone want to donate money to my cause? No credit cards please (I'm half serious. Send me to DC and you'll never regret it!) only checks or cash. Man, if that TJ gig hadn't fallen through it would have been no problem. I WILL get a job when I return to CA. WILL. MUST. Argh.

Rafael Mendez Brass Institute in Boulder June 7-13. Davis is going with her quintet. I wish I had a quintet, or a bone quartet. I know I asked about it already, but if you want to form a group...please let me know. It's cheaper if you go pre-formed. Perfect for me. Nuttin' but brass chamber music all the livelong day. So I either need three trombones or two trumpets, a horn, and a tuba. Anyone, anyone?

*Sigh* So much excitment in the world, so little money. I'm toying with the idea of going for broke and just doing everything I want to do...because what else would be the point of a year off? I'm taking time off to...have time. Time to do the shit I want to do before school weighs me back down. Like March for justice and intensely practice chamber music. The money can be made later, and really, how important is it to be secure financially when it's just as fulfilling to have great experiences, books, music, and conversations over deep mugs of chai?

Yeah.