Monday, March 22, 2004

coal miner's ewan

Really, there is no movie more suited to Lorndom than Brassed Off (there were better links than this one, but I want you to look carefully at the URL and you'll see why I chose it. Top 'alf only, ya know).

It shines in all of the necessary categories to make it a genuine winner:

1. Use of musical instruments/themes: A+++
a. (sub category)Brass instruments, heavy feature of trombone: BONUS!
b. Musician jokes ("She blows flugel like a dream" "Really Danny, at your age"):
BONUS!
2. Ewan McGregor: A++++++++++ (++)
3. English accents: A+
4. Strong political themes: A++

Truth be told, however, I would like it just on the basis of this dialogue alone, which I consider to be the best pickup line in the history of film:

Gloria (Tara Fitzgerald): Would you like to come up for a coffee?
Andy (My baby's daddy): I don't drink coffee...
Gloria: I haven't got any.

However, I would just like to point out that, although it appears that most of the actors took a few brass lessons and had some idea of how to play their instruments, the conductors were terrible! Pete and Jim, I'm ashamed of you. Only choir directors conduct like that. Not a legitimate pattern! Not a legitimate pattern!! AAACK! (Beverly Taylor flashbacks, no, *sob* please, no, stop the madness!)

Well I'll be off then. Ta-ra!