Sunday, March 21, 2004

"i can't read"--ralphie

I am struggling so hard to finish More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow. Jay-sus, it's driving me crazy from boredom. I'd rather play Pairs II on my cellphone (and I do).

So, why not stop torturing myself and just put it down? Truthfully, though, it's not entirely boring. It's got some action, sort of. In fact it reads as one long stream of consciousness from the point of the narrator, and I get it, it's not hard to understand. It's just so bloody long, for such a simple storyline, not as bad as Ulysses (which I also had to force myself to finish) perhaps, but bad enough. I feel like I should give it the benefit of the doubt, and maybe it'll get interesting or at least life-affirming.

At any rate, it's due back at the library on Tuesday. If I haven't managed to get past the 2/3 mark by then or if it suddenly becomes the best thing I've ever read (whichever comes first), I will return it and check out something more enjoyable. Like the concise military history of Tangiers, for example.