Friday, March 12, 2004

what's in a name?

I've been toying with the idea of changing my AIM name. While llamas remain fascinating and cooler than most animals, I've outgrown that phase of my life (the obsession-that-defines-me-as-unique-and-special mentality) and it's time to change and reflect more who I've become.

Sure, it's just an IM name. But admittedly I have an ongoing quest for self-expression that requires me to put thought into the tags that describe me. Buddha Stew is a perfect name for my website and I couldn't be prouder of it (although what it has come to mean for me was unintentional in the beginning), but it's not really a description of me per se but of the things I put out into the world for mass consumption. The trick is to find a screenname that describes me, but yet doesn't limit my description to a narrow category, such as llamas.

[I predicted that raising this discussion with Jerry would lead to him suggesting a screenname for me that contained in some form the word "poopy." I know my Jerry. The following is a transcript of the pertinent aspect of our conversation:
Llama721: thinking about maybe changing my IM name
Skrtch4brkf: ooo
Skrtch4brkf: to what
Llama721: hmm
Skrtch4brkf: pooperdoodoos

I rest my case.]

Before my present incarnation as Llama721, my screen name was the Les Miserables-inspired "Enjolrasse," a feminization of the character Enjolras, leader of the student revolutionaries. At the time I was mad about Les Miz, having seen in London on my 17th birthday. I spent a great deal of time on the official chat board making up fanfiction and being a general dork (however, I am grateful to my general dorkiness for making me a friend of Hans who retains his Les Miz screenname). I was one of those LM fans that scorned the tweenagers for their variations on Eponine nicknames and their numerous grammatically incorrect exploits into how much Cosette sucked, they loved Marius, and Eponine deserved him more. I, however, chose to be a little in love with Enjolras, but more so I wanted to be him, because I thought he was fuckin' rad. Hence, "Enjolrasse."

Now that I think about it, it still holds some significance. I'm all girl power human rights activist now, why not? Also, it lacks numbers, a plus.

Part of me is a little cautious about switching names just now though. I'm at a crossroads; I can't honestly say that I feel defined by my trombone as much as I used to, but I can't replace that drive with anything else just yet. I'm floating around in an eddy just waiting to join the stream again. So, do I forge ahead and remain Llama721, or backtrack and claim my Enjolrasse roots? How about an entirely new name, like bodhisattva or pooperdoodoos?

Feel free to vote on this important issue. Likely I'll think about, get distracted by something else, and forget about, thus solving my problem. Really, I only talk to...maybe five people out of 47 on a regular basis. Probably the same five people who read my webpage.