Wednesday, April 28, 2004

kickin' off sexism, tyne daly style

In an effort to make sure I remember and detail everything about this past weekend, I'm going to have a series of blogs on my different experiences. You'll have to bear with me as I have lots more to talk about. :)

Saturday night, Cara and I went to the Official March Kickoff, at the DC Armory. It was like one big variety show- hosted by the band Betty. I can't remember everyone that spoke, but a lot of big feminist names were there- Tyne Daly, Ellie Smeal, Gloria Feldt (whose book, The War on Choice I happened to be reading), okay, I'm totally drawing a blank. I took some pictures- we were fairly close to the stage. Kathy Najimy flashed us, but she had her bra on. Elizabeth from BETTY didn't, and her boobs said "Pro" and "Choice" respectively. I think that might be the first time I've been flashed. Rockin'. This chick, SONiA, rocks my socks. Imma getting a CD of hers when I get my paycheck. Oh yeah, we sang a song called "Every Sperm Does Not Deserve a Name" ("if so a man would found a nation every time he came") which still has me giggling. Also, the March For Women's Lives song (of the same title) by Judy Gorman is stuck in my head on constant loop today. Cris Williamson is rad.

Before all the festivities started, we wandered around the booths and checked out the merchandise. I got this t-shirt (except mine has rockin' hot pink lettering), and one of the offical march tees. Also, a button. I was torn between two other tshirts (one said "Wax Bush 2004" and the other "There's only one good Bush"), but I ended up getting neither. We got our official NOW "Keep Abortion Legal" signs (they had a tragic end...more on that later), and an older lady gave me her balloons off her table (they were blocking her view of the stage). One woman had a shirt on that said "I love Pro-Choice boys"--rock on. Lots of those at the march, one even holding a sign that said "Pro-choice and single"; he got lots of cheers. I thought it would be cool to have a make-out for choice, or a sex-in for choice or something. Heehehe.

Anyway, the kickoff. Good times. Afterward I got in touch with Marisa and we metroed over to her hotel, but she and Dennis were hell-bent on drinking, so we didn't talk long. I was hoping the cute and maybe lesbian girl who we talked to from the parking lot of our hotel would be up and around when we got back, but it was late, alas, and we were tired.

Speaking of tired... That's all you get for tonight. Tomorrow's installment will be the details of the March itself, including the anti-choicers and the rally. I have one picture left to take on my camera- likely I will quick snap a pic of Chipper tomorrow and have them for your disposable tomorrow evening.