Sunday, June 20, 2004

oh, brother

Before Adam left for Boston he gave me his copy of Skipping Towards Gomorrah: The Seven Deadly Sins and the Pursuit of Happiness in America by Dan Savage, of Savage Love fame.

Here's what Dan has to say about the very place I am moving to in less than two months:
Plano is the ugliest place I visited while working on this book. Hell, Plano is the ugliest place I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot of ugly places, from mud-brick villages in southern Egypt, to crumbling, Stalinist apartment blocks on the edges of Moscow, to Gary, Indiana.

Worse than Gary, Indiana? Okay, I been to neither Moscow nor Egypt, but I have been through Gary and I can say safely that Plano has more charm that that. I understand the sentiment, though, because I hand-picked my apartment complex for the bike trail and creek behind it knowing I'd be desperate for a nature getaway in the middle of Square Grid Suburbia, USA.

Planning on spending Halloween in Austin, and next year's ITA Convention in New Orleans.

Oh, and most importantly, I will be in New York next Labor Day for a wedding. Congratulations, Marisa and Dennis! EEEEEE!