Wednesday, June 23, 2004

ooh, she's thrifty, she's just my type

Having cancelled my swim lessons for the afternoon (I have completely lost my voice, which always happens to me when I get colds- although I fought the cold, teaching swim lessons in a loud environment ripped up my already weak vocal chords), I wandered over the Poway SA store to do a little thrifting. I didn't find anything in the clothes section that appealed to me (I've never been one for thrift store clothes anyway). There was a blue velour couch that rocked my world- shame there's no way I can get it to Texas.

I made out like a bandit in the LPs section. You know, LP shopping is give and take- you have to look out for scratches, ripped or damaged covers, the right record in the folder. There were some gems there I wanted to take home (mostly classical, some Elton John) but the actual records were MIA. I did get:

Herb Alpert and the TJ Brass, Going Places
Billy Joel, The Stranger
Chopin, Nocturnes, etc...
Brahms, Piano Concerto No 2
Grieg, Piano Concerto in A minor, Peer Gynt Suite

I salvaged some books too:

Germaine Greer, The Female Eunuch
Garrison Keillor, Lake Wobegon Summer 1956
EM Forster, A Room with a View

All these for under $8, which totally justifies my butchering of Beastie Boys lyrics.

Reviews forthcoming. I'm currently rereading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. I read it when I was young, maybe 15, and I hated it. I think it was partly the vernacular speech she uses. That kind of thing no longer bothers me, so I'd like to give it another shot and see if I can appreciate it to the full extent it deserves.