Friday, July 09, 2004

competitive edge

Was watching the trials for Olympic swimming on NBC tonight. Michael Phelps and Natalie Coughlin, damn.

Thing is, watching it just makes me itchy to race again. The thrill of competition sings in my nerves and I want to be up on a block, sizing up my fellow swimmers. I want to be neck and neck with the girl in the lane next to me, each of us bound and determined to win. I want to hear the cheer of crowd after I touch the wall and swing my head up to see my time.

I was never really fast enough to be even close to Olympic good, but I often wonder what kind of races I'd be swimming if I'd kept at it competitively. Or would injury stifle my strokes?

I've been swimming for fitness at Frogs during my down time, but tomorrow I think- I think I'll race the clock. Pretend like that girl I never liked from swim team is next to me and I'm kicking her ass big time. Hee.