Saturday, September 04, 2004

feeling light-hearted

Hopped in my car yesterday afternoon and drove up to Denton to pay a visit to Jason, fighting through horrendously bad traffic all the way there but still getting there much sooner (geographically speaking) than I thought I would. On the way home today it only took half an hour and that's not speeding. Well, okay, I sped a little. I have my TollTag now and I can breeze through the plazas without a care and without having to creatively assemble 75 cents from the contents of my change cup each time.

Anyhow, I had a fabulous time with Jason, of course. We sampled a small portion of the local student bar life before repairing to chez Jason for vodka lemonades, all the while reliving our Madison experiences (both shared and new) vividly. I love finding out what people thought of me when we first met, and sharing the same with them, so to realize that Jason and I thought the same things about each other way back in 1999 is amazing. I love the way he thinks so sincerely about everything, and that it seems to come so easily for him. We have the kind of friendship that never changed with distance (my favorite kind) but only left room to be warmer and stronger.

I'm thrilled that I'm here in Texas with both Jason and Chris- I can't think of many other people whose experiences in Madison so closely matched my own and whose personalities so closely mesh with mine. It also feels so right and healthy to be able to talk freely about college again, without having to give background information or explain the personalities or quirks of the people involved. And while I'm still Madison-sick, I've recovered enough to be refreshed by the memories and to grow out from them.

Less serious, only slightly less cheesey:

I made Jason go see Garden State with me, and it's twice as good the second time. I must be careful not to develop too unhealthy an obsession for Zach Braff. That movie makes me feel so lighthearted and wonderful inside, I could float away.

After much deliberation of both the pros and cons, I've finally decided I'm not a fan of the Texas frontage road system.