Thursday, September 13, 2007

how i made myself official

The Land of Enchantment having accepted me willingly within its boundaries, I've begun to make steps that will insure the path of my eventual transformation into a New Mexican. It's weird. Even in Wisconsin, I never really let go of those things that made me distinctly Californian; I kept my driver's license and my voter registration, I hung on desperately to certain kinds of clothes even though they were woefully inadequate for the harsher northern climate. Sure, in Texas I had a house, my house, but I still had a CA driver's license and a fierce loyalty to the Pacific Ocean.

But I think if I'm going to make it here, if I'm really going to take this opportunity to grow up and be on my own with a big-kids musical ensemble and a large amount of rent to pay, I need to settle down a little quicker.

As I mentioned, I already have a library card and a bank account. Today I got a New Mexico driver's license. The first time in 10 years I haven't held a California ID card, and surprisingly, I'm okay with it. My picture's even...acceptable.

Next step: NM plates for my car.

I've even gone so far as to set up an online personal ad, one that says something to the effect of 'Hi! Hi! Look at me! Cuteee! I need love in the location I am currently at!'. I feel like a puppy at the pound. I have to admit I was a little wary, not wishing to recreate the events of the last time I tried to meet people online (heartbreak, while it may heal emotionally, always leaves some little psychological mark on our brains). But it was late, I was a little delusional from watching so many episodes of The Office, and I had finding a Jim Halpert on my brain. Here goes nothing!

In other news, CSBQ has a gig this weekend. Two weekends in a row with a gig! I'm hot stuff!