Sunday, November 11, 2001

Lorn's Senseless but Still Very Exciting News for Today, November 11:

I have officially named both my tenor and my bass trombones! My bass is named Bernard (said with a little Jaja Gabor type accent--swallow the r and stress the d), and my tenor Bianca. Now, someone might think...hmm, that sounds familiar, and then you'll go and pull out your copy of Disney's The Rescuers and say, "hey! Bernard and Bianca!!! Hey!!" and you'll be right, because yes, my trombones were named after two cartoon mice. Not for any specific tribute to the movie, which I haven't seen in...oh...seven years or so. Bernard got his name first, and it has a little more meaning at the moment...it's paying homage to good old RB High and it's alliterative (Bernard the Bass Bone). Bianca...well, that just came to me yesterday when I was spending a little quality time with her (she's been feeling a little neglected lately, as I adjust to Bernard) and I realized that in the movie, Bernard and Bianca are lovers. Well, I want my trombones to get along well (with me in the middle), so I figured that it was perfect!! Bianca has to get used to it...she's been nameless (and, frankly, sexless) for so long, but I think she likes it and it'll all be good.

now, not every musician names their instrument. I realize how crazy this all sounds. But i think we should love our horns and use them as friends and extensions of our music. anyway, i do think it's kind of nuts but i like it. I'm very proud of my names. Bernard and Bianca.