Wednesday, December 24, 2003

i knew it!!

I knew that somewhere out there I had a God-fearing, child-beating, elegant apostrophe-using relative that hated the glossiness of the Christmas season as much as I. It's so nice to have family this time of year, isn't it?

Your Christmas Eve, Fifth Night of Hannukah, Two Days before Kwaanza Update:

Don't ever work in a department store if you can help it! Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I worked til close. And there were still people clamoring for those last minute gifts. We had to practically push them out the door. Plus, I almost cried several times at both the amount of clothes I had to put away and the terrible mess that the sales floor was rapidly becoming despite my best efforts to tidy it.

I refuse to let this job get to me, however. I am much better than this job, much smarter, much more talented, and therefore I have better things to piss me off. It's a pain in the neck. How could it not be? People are slobs, rude, ignorant, callous slobs when it comes to their personal experiences. I would like to sit every teenage girl that comes into the fitting room down and have a long chat about how someday they might be stuck working minimum wage picking up someone's mess, and they should take heed and respect the people that do it now.

I've listened in on a few conversations at work, between women, about how they feel they don't have to work as hard in life because they'll have a man to make up the difference. I have bit my tongue for all of these conversations, but I will not rant about feminism right now, much to your chagrin. I'm just baffled by this-there's nothing that makes me feel better about myself than knowing I can take care of my own needs without having to rely on anyone else. While at this point in time I do require the assistance of my parents, I am looking forward to the day I be totally self-sufficient. Sure, a little free money is nice every now and again, but I like not having to be grateful to anyone.

I just had some nasty-ass packaged alfredo pasta mix.

Hung out with Marisa and Sarah last night-we went to a bar by Marisa's house that turned out to be the happeningest place in RB. Or rather, it was like a high school reunion. One guy sat down to talk to us and asked "RB or Poway?" We saw Joey Brennan, Patsy Martin, Chris Bloom, and some random annoying girls that played soccer with Marisa. And I swear one of the Haas brothers had to have been there because I followed this car all the way home and it stopped two doors down...it's probably Tom.

It was weird for me because most of these people I don't remember at all. I mean, I swam with Joey for almost ten years but still had trouble recognizing him. Also, I was a complete and total band-o. Should I run into anyone from band--now that would be a reunion. Plus, I remember the people I want to remember. Patsy Martin has had no known direct effect on my life as I know (except for the pleasure I get out of how her name sounds like meat), and I consider that grounds for mental dismissal. Oh well. Joey gets an award for growing up to be hotter than before.

Tomorrow my parents and I are seeing the final LOTR. It's the culmination of a three-year Christmas day tradition, because we can't socialize long enough to not piss each other off but we still feel obligated to spend quality time together. Three and a half hour movie? Bingo.

To my readers: a tasty and accumulative holiday. Cheers!