Monday, March 22, 2004

what's that you say, realone player?

I am frequently amused by the genre classifications RealOne player will give music (ex: Johnny Cash has been labeled "Outlaw Country").

But I'm more than a little baffled by this bit of music trivia that popped up while it was playing "Shrove-tide Fair" from Stravinsky's Petrushka: "Stravinsky's music evolved to encompass every major movement of the twentieth century. Sexy."

The first statement is technically correct. Sexy? To me it reads like, "*intellectual sounding woman's voice-over* Stravinsky's music evolved to encompass every major movement of the twentieth century. *switch to husky voice* Oooh, that makes RealOne player sooo hot. I've been eyeing your newest 12-tone composition all night and it's driving me insane with desire. How about you and I go up to my place for a coffee? (but I don't drink coffee) I haven't got any. *later* Stravinsky you naughty, naughty Russian you, take me now, make my equalizer quiver with delight!"

It's just that...I think you've got the wrong man, RealOne Player. I think you want Ravel. Or Bernstein. Think about it. Petrushka's an ugly puppet. Sure, it has its sexy bits, but um...no. I suggest giving Fancy Free a try. That always gets my motor going.