Thursday, April 08, 2004

6 cds, 4 books, 2 hair-related annoyances, and 1 fun fact

6 CDs: I raided the Classical L-R drawer at the library today, and apparently am in a mood to double my Mahler collection.

Mahler Symphony No 2 LSO/Bernstein
Mahler Kindertotenlieder LSO/Bernstein/Janet Baker
Mahler Symphony No 2 SFSO/Blomstedt (Wait, I thought it was No 8? Sheeet)
Mahler Symphony No 7 CSO/Abbado
Prokofiev Symphony-Concerto for Cello and Orchestra NSO of Ukraine/Kuchar/Rudin
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet Cleveland/Maazel (I can't believe I don't already have this. Well, the situation is rectified)

4 books:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The General in His Labyrinth
Margaret Atwood, Bodily Harm
Norman Mailer, The Gospel According to the Son
Ed. Robin Morgan, Sisterhood is Powerful

Speaking of SIP- here's a library-related annoyance as a bonus to you, the lucky reader- RB used to have all its feminist texts in one convenient location. There weren't many, but the classics were there as well as a few very interesting reads. Now, they've done some sort of radical reorganizing which has axed the feminist category all together, separating the books into bigger sections like Motherhood or Race Studies or History, or, where I found SIP, Anthologies. What the fuck, man? I sense a patriarchal plot to keep would-be feminist knowledge seekers from branching out and reading all available literature. Okay, maybe I wouldn't take it that far. But it is obnoxious.

2 hair-related annoyances:

#1: When I get my hair cut short (or, -er as the case may be), I'm always mostly happy except for the way the back looks. I always feel like my hairline on my neck should round out the whole pixie cut look, not flatten against my neck and make the back of my head look like a straight line. The example on the left is what I don't like. [Ed. note- Totally have a crush on the girl on the right] The one on the right, here is how I feel it should be (please don't be frightened by the scary woman on the left. Her hair is reminiscent of an upside-down Awesome Blossom). I imagine it has something to do with the shape of my head, the particular hairstylist, etc., and upon further reflection, I think my haircut looks good and I should stop worrying about it like I always do.

#2: I hate having little cut hairs all over the back of my neck for the rest of the day. Grr.

1 fun fact, as promised:

Did you know that when your hair dries quickly, it means you have healthy hair? I am the proud owner of healthy hair, which means I better get to destroying it again with bleach and hair dye. Mwahahahaha!!!