Tuesday, July 27, 2004

steven's lorn's last night in town

[I can't sleep. I keep mentally arranging boxes in my car and worrying about minor things that I'll forget to do anyway.]

Heidi from work asked me the other day if I have a "going away" song or album that I will be playing as I leave San Diego, and while I thought it was an excellent question I didn't have an answer for her.

Sublime has a place in my San Diego consciousness that would be fitting, but I'm driving with my mom and I just get the feeling she wouldn't appreciate it as much as I do.

Tom Waits has a song called "San Diego Serenade" that is wildly appropriate, but I don't have a copy of it.

Maybe Ben Folds Five "Steven's Last Night" as my title suggests- but I don't plan on coming back over and over again (sorry, Mikey C) as a joke wearing thin.

Ani D is good for anything, but I think I'll save "Every State Line" for crossing into Texas, and besides, I'll be sad about the concert. I had sort of planned to listen to "Shy" a few times ("I am leaving in the morning, so let's not be shy"), but now I'm not leaving in the morning, besides not having anyone to seduce. Educated Guess would be a good album but I've packed it away.

No to Radiohead, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, and Blur. Elvis Costello? Eh. How about Bowie "Ch-ch-ch-changes (turn and face the strange)" huh? Followed by a hearty dose of "Golden Years?"

I know Jerry has a thing for Less Than Jake when he's traveling in and out of La Crosse. Do any of the rest of y'all have a band/song that signifies your departure from a dear place?

Leaving Madison last September I cried buckets. Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head, while touching and clearly written for the particular kind of heartbreaking emotional experience I was going through, is not the best choice of music when sharing the road with hundreds of motorcycle fanatics on their way to the Harley Davidson 50th anniversary celebration in Milwaukee.

I don't think I'll be crying buckets this time around; after all, it hasn't been the greatest of times. But I will be sad. I am very much venturing off into the great unknown from a place that has been home to me for many, many years. It's an experience that deserves a fitting tribute, a song or album that will make me think of the feeling in the years to come. What would you choose?