Thursday, June 15, 2006

book wormin'

Since it is summer, naturally I have been reading a ton. Here is what I have finished so far:

Always Coming Home by Ursula K Le Guin. This the first of her works I have read. It is an account of a (fictional) people that will exist in Northern California after our society self-destructs, basically. I liked her interweaving of stories and cultures, plus the idea that in the future, violence, patriarchy, and warfare will be a disease as effective at stamping out the civilizations that cause them as any biologically disease is today.

Clay's Ark by Octavia Butler. Quite a page-turner. Multifaceted characters of both genders and many different colors! How sadly unique!

What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank. I like the idea that politics used to be more about economics and class- moral issues were left to guess what? the church and the individual. Weird. I wonder if we'll ever get back to that?

When God Was a Woman by Merlin Stone. I've been working on this for a long time, and I finally finished it. Fascinating and eye-opening. It makes me want everyone to take the time to look beyond the dominant religious paradigm and see into history.

Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd. I picked this up at the library yesterday and am almost through. I'm enjoying it- except for maybe the overly dramatic stuff- and it goes well with what I just read it Merlin Stone's book.

More books on the reading list to follow:
Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children from Sex
Shame
The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth about Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood and Marriage

Anybody got anything to recommend?