Saturday, January 24, 2004

because choice is on my mind...

Here's another article for you to peruse on the subject of birth control.

I would especially like to hear from the men in the audience. Would you consider taking birth control? If so, would you prefer the hormonal kind, which the majority of women taking birth control use, or this RISUG injection that will offer up few side effects, no loss of libido, and is somewhat long-term?

I think this RISUG sounds like great news, and I'm terribly saddened to hear that it won't likely turn up in the US. Anyone who says capitalist corporations don't control our choices is a damn fool.

I, for one, would like to see this because I know hormones aren't a great choice. They work fine, and are reliable, but how often when I was on BC did I feel a little weird about putting extra crap into my body? Long term effects? Loss of libido? Not to mention that I like to feel in touch with my body and knowing to the day when my period was going to come was always a little disappointing. Call me crazy, but it's kind of fun. Annoying, sometimes, waiting around until one day it unceremoniously stains your panties, but still fun. I'm just one woman, and we all have different experiences with cramping, spotting, and whatnot. I recommend you all read the first few chapters of Cunt by Igna Muscio, if not the whole thing (as someday I plan to do, when I can afford to buy it or find it at the library), on getting in touch with your cycle. *insert touching woman power moment here*

Anyway, back to my original slant. If men can escape the hormones for something better, then perhaps they can help woman do it as well. I resented the one urologist's comment "I think what we've already got works pretty good" because shouldn't medicine continually explore new and better options even if there's a "longer track record" studying an existing treatment? Call me idealist, but there's probably something better.

link via Bloggers for Choice