Wednesday, January 21, 2004

the frustrations of rancho bernardo are upon me

Curse you, suburbia.

Where are your coffee houses, your indie record stores, your neighborhood bars?

Who keeps destroying the beauty of our hills by building cookie-cutter houses on top of them?

When will I greet my neighbor cordially? When will I next see my neighbor?

Why must everything be just ever so much beyond walking distance?

What cost, safe and affordable family living?

Just a few reasons why I miss dear old urban Madison- Expresso, Pinkus, Exclusive company, Hawks, A Room of One's Own, the boys upstairs, James Madison park, easy use of the busline, not having to worry about hills because of the lack thereof...

I'm an urban girl, ultimately. Living in Madison always felt free, easy, moderately inexpensive (when you know where to go), so very delectably independent. Of course, that's because I didn't have a car, shared apartments, borrowed furniture, and lived 2000 miles from my parents. Who paid my rent. *ahem* Not to say that there weren't inconveniences, but even they seem ever so sweet. It's Madison I miss, but I would settle for anywhere urban...just to get me out of this hellhole they call suburbia.

Curse you, suburbia.

Here in RB I feel like a rat in a cage (ala Smashing Pumpkins). Not to slight the parents, but they just never really let you grow up, do they? And I'm so sick of driving. I would give anything to just walk to the convenience store. Meet some friends for coffee. I want to be able to go out without worrying about having a DD. Everyone should stumble home drunk! No child left behind!

Will I grow out of this urban mentality? When I grow up and have a family? (I shudder to think) Whatever. Right now I know that I'm not ready for suburbia yet. I'm not settled by any means. I want hodge-podge furniture I found on the street and upstairs neighbors having loud sex. Parties of wild abandon. Lateness caused by misreading the bus schedule. Gigs.

I repeat:

Curse you, suburbia.