Friday, January 30, 2004

things of minor interest

Currently reading:
Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Susan Faludi
Killing Rage, bell hooks

Currently en route to my eagerly awaiting hands:
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence, Igna Muscio
Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, and the Future, Amy Richards and Jennifer Baumgarnder

Spend the day with Natalie, chatting and attending two of her very interesting classes. The first, a class on discourse (forgive me, Nat, I'm not sure of the title), was pretty intense. I'm not sure if I could effectively regurgitate any of the information, so I'll just wait until it sinks in a little. I greatly enjoyed the other class, Gender and Reproductive Rights in the Law, for lots of reasons. The professor was awesome. So funny, so foul-mouthed, so wonderful. The class was entirely women, I believe, and it created an air of relaxation and enjoyment that, no offence guys, having men around sometimes dislocates. The cases we discussed were extremely aggravating in the ways they displayed that the law is behind the times (in the case of Alison D, a lesbian who helped raise a child her lover had birthed) and also sexist in the ways it upholds gender stereotypes for both men and women as fathers and mothers.

Extremely interesting. Lately haven't felt too much like blogging but I assure I still think of you often, dear Buddha Stew fans. ;) Right now, it's time for Futurama.