Tuesday, February 03, 2004

southern california: it's not just for weather-wimps anymore

Went over to Borders for my Monday Night Chai, plunked myself down in front of the "women's studies" section (in quotes because some things don't really belong there, and also, they are too lazy to alphabetize it. tsk tsk. Shoulda hired me when you had the chance, bitches....I mean, you still can. I need a job. Please hire me!), and found a very interesting book: Indigenous: Growing Up Californian, by Cris Mazza.

Mazza's life, in the pages I flipped through, parallels mine in some pretty crazy ways. She grew up in San Diego, which was my first draw to the book. She played trombone in marching band, one of the first girls in her school to do so. The way she talks about gender politics as it relates to band ring true for me, and she deftly describes what it's like to be a "girl among trombonists"...I would love to read that section in depth. She went away to the Midwest (Chicago) for school. While there, she dealt with all the stereotypes I dealt with (do you miss the weather? do you surf? is everyone blonde? do you see a lot of celebrities?) and was equally as frustrated. She also devotes a chapter to the San Diego Symphony, its financial woes, and how America views the arts. It's fascinating. I've added it to my wish list (oh, if I could read everything I wanted to) because I'm just stunned at our similar lives and her insights on being a Californian.

My friends in Wisconsin will attest to how annoyed the following question made me: "Why in the world would you come here when you live in Southern California?" The implication is that weather determines how great a place is, and that once you've lived there, you can't live anywhere else. Incidentally, the questioner would always follow up the statement with "I could never live there. I like seasons. Plus, what's Christmas without snow?" thus annoying me further. We have seasons, bitch. It's raining right now. Because it's winter, and that's what it does. Oh, but you're right, we don't have any Christmas spirit here. We suck.

Anyway, my responses to this question got more creative with time (usually I would invoke a stereotype of Wisconsin just to get back at them: "I like the smell of cows" "I wanted to see how much bratwurst I could eat in four years" etc). The truth is, I love Wisconsin. I love San Diego. I love being from both places. Well-rounded character traits and all. While I will play along with stereotypical jokes about either locale, I retain the right to ignore anyone who is genuinely insulting or ignorant.

There are of course downsides to both locations. I am not enjoying my year here in SD because I have few friends, am dependent on my car, and live in the suburbs. Were I in the thick of the action downtown, I would in all likelihood feel differently. San Diego frustrates me with its conservatism (it is after a military town with a high population of retirees and ex-Midwesterners) and its racism (you can quote diversity statistics, but the truth of it is that Hispanics get a very, very, very bad rap here). But Madison could similarly frustrate me with its little hypocrisies as well. Any place is like that, because people have different viewpoints anywhere you settle.

Like Mazza, I too can discount any of the stereotypes people have of southern Californians just on the basis of people I know. The friends who were born here, raised here, and consider themselves San Diegans are the least stereotypical of all. Many times at school I felt myself slipping into stereotypes just so I could get some attention, but the truth of it is I'm not a surfer, I'm not blonde, and I don't rollerblade with my poodle (but I do have a poodle...man, it just occurred to me what a jip poodles get. That is a damn stupid name for an otherwise wonderful dog). The surfer exists, and I'm not knocking it. Someday I too would like to be a surfer, because it looks like fun and I like the ocean. The characteristics I love best about San Diego and San Diegans are the most often overlooked. The ocean is great, but you can't deny the beauty of our mountains, our canyons, and our deserts. San Diegans are some of the most fit people in the country (and that is a stereotype), because of the nature of our environment. Hiking, biking, swimming, and just plain walking are so enjoyable here because of the things you get to look at while you are doing said activities. If a friend comes to visit me, I will take them to Torrey Pines because it is breathtakingly beautiful, but I will also take them to Los Penasquitos to get a true feel for chaparral and canyon wildlife (friends who visit me will always be taken hiking. You cannot escape it, do not even try).

Well, there you have it in plain english why RW: San Diego pisses me off so much. There is a nightlife here, sure. But it ain't all we do, and those idiots will be sorry they didn't ever get east of the airport (quite a task, I assure you; the airport being almost on top of the harbor). But more than that, I hate to see my pretty city get stereotyped and pigeonholed. Pan your camera over the Mission Beach boardwalk all you want, but that ain't the half of it. I think the wildfires surprised some people back east because they didn't realize how much wild land San Diego County actually includes. That before the palm trees and well-manicured lawns it was all scrub brush and cactus. Fire is a way of life. Many of us despaired to see our mountains and canyons go up in flames almost as much as the devastating loss of homes and lives. Those of us with common sense do not appreciate the Governator. Electricity is not a thing to flaunt. Water is precious. Punk rock is sacred.

So, a word of warning to the haters: the note of scorn I hear in your voice when you say "California should just drop into the ocean and do us all a favor" better damn well fuck off, and you too. Because it's my home, and it's more than just a bunch of blondes and surfers and suburban rich kids. Maybe you should come here and give it a try. Hopefully we won't break off into the Pacific while you're here.