Thursday, April 08, 2004

i heart prokofiev

I was wondering today what it is that makes certain music worthwhile for some people, not so for others, hated with a passion for some people, etc. What makes Prokofiev my favorite composer, yet other people love Mahler or Beethoven or Part (that was for you, Bethany)? I enjoy those composers, but they don't have the significance or draw that my dearest Sergei does.

It's partly sentimental- my first Prokofiev experience is thanks to Jon Mortison, who gave me a recording of Alexander Nevsky in high school. It hit a chord with my dark, intense little teenage soul, longing for significance and individuality amid the superficiality of everything around me. Or something like that. It was, for all intents and purposes, something I could lie on the floor listening to at top volume being shaken to the core with emotion. From Nevsky, I moved on to Romeo and Juliet. Ooh, those chords at the beginning of the Introduction to Act III. OOoooooh man. They leave me breathless every time. The effective use of dissonance--the build-up the crash, the release, so desperately orgasmic. And the Quarrel scene/death of Tybalt. Let me tell you, nothing has ever been so much fun to play on bass trombone.

To the things I originally loved about Prokofiev, the darkness, the despair of his intense moments, I have added a joy in his humorous moments, the light-hearted compositions that betray a jovial tone (Think: 5th Symphony, second movement). As playful as he can be though, I love these moments even more for the weighty undercurrent present in the small dissonances, the little quirks of sarcasm bordering on dark humor. With this I can identify, my own humor often being a little serious and self-hating (all in good spirit, though ;). Manic and depressive smushed into one concise package, if you will.

As an exercise in curiosity (mine), take your favorite composer or band (absolute favorite, numero uno, all time best) and think about what it is about them that grabs your soul and shakes you to the core. Or, perhaps you are of a lighter disposition than I and you like your music to lift you up and sing to your spirit, but why? Is it personal, sentimental, or driven purely by an interest in creativity, perfection, or beauty? A combination of all of these plus extra? When and where do you enjoy them the most? Or do you enjoy them because they are perfect for every mood, every situation?

Prokofiev for me is a constant, a pedal point in the vast modulation of my musical tastes keeping the composition together. Music obsessions have come and gone (as much as I still appreciate them, I can't say I listen to CAKE even half as much as I used to- some of you might be glad about this). He influences my other classical repetoire (oh, those darn Soviets), determines what I love to play in an ensemble, and even goes so far as to pick and choose my various pop/rock/alternative forays.

Lorn's Recommended Prokofiev:
From Romeo and Juliet: Intro to Act III, The Quarrel (Act I Scene i), Masks (Act I Scene ii), Juliet's Room (Act III Scene iii), Morning Serenade (III, iii)
Symphony No 5 (esp mvts 2 and 3)
Lt Kizheh Suite
From Alexander Nevsky: The Battle on the Ice
Piano Concerto No 2
Tales of an Old Grandmother (for Piano)
Violin Concerto No 1 (mvt 1 for the rockin' tuba solo)
The Love for Three Oranges, best (and weirdest) opera, ever.