Friday, March 02, 2007

i am all smiles
or
mike i'll teach you how to swim, if you turn the bad in me into good again

I played in departmental on Wednesday. One movement was really good, the other was almost a complete disaster. I can give you any of three opinions on the performance.

1. It was good mostly because most people didn't know the piece and thought it was just crazy. Which it is, but not that crazy.
2. It was not bad for a hard piece, and my professor thought I did the best I could for a first performance. There's a reason no one records this piece.
3. Oh. My. God. Why is performance so hard for me? Why do I get on stage and forget how to count? Arrrgh!!!

Anyway, I took the afternoon off, and yesterday only played trombone when I had to. Last night was the One O'Clock spring concert, which I was too wiped to sit through as I hadn't eaten all day, but I did make it to the after party.

Things from there were pretty much awesome.

So the conundrum is: A boy is shy. He knows I like him. I think he likes me. So shy! So shy it makes me shy again, and that is a long way back for me. But I'm not going to let this opportunity slip by without trying for it, so watch me go.

Today I am playing great and feeling even better.

And...

Albuquerque is a yes. I have a brass quintet!