Friday, January 02, 2004

the year i turn 23...

Happiest of New Years to you. I think I definitely enjoy New Years-it's one of the only holidays I remain uncynical about.

My NYs consisted of two vodka cranberries, half a bottle of champagne, a baileys hot chocolate, and the one-two punch of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean. Katie came over and we bonded with the alcohol and the hotness. Spent a great deal of today regretting the champagne. Bleh.

I'm not one for resolutions but I have a few things I want to accomplish in the new year.
-Get into graduate school
-devote all my energy to becoming a rockin' trombone player
-start swimming again
-become a competent vegetarian cook
-have steady income, increase cd collection
-kick bush out of the white house!!!

After some thought I've decided to postpone my recital until after auditions. I'm picturing sort of a farewell/send off concert before I move off to grad school. The thing is, I am really struggling with embouchure issues and I feel that I might be doing more harm than good with the work I've been doing. So I'm going to cancel the recital, see Sean and hopefully figure out what the problem is. Then I have a month to readjust and perfect my music. I'm golden on the pieces I have prepared; I just can't play them very well because of my difficulties finding the correct embouchure. Right now I'm having trouble shifting register, and still getting that rough sound when I play loud. Preparing a recital is definitely something I want to try on my own this year, but it's not a good idea right now. I plan on paying my accompanist for a few sessions though, so I can play the pieces with piano and get used to that.

Countdown to Jerry: 6 days!

My mom surprised me the other day, and asked if I'd like to have Jerry sleep with me while he's out. I like this. I like knowing that my mom trusts me and respects Jerry. It's nice to be considered an adult. Can't say fairer than that.

Tomorrow we find out if I am staying on as a Penney's employee or join the ranks of the unemployed. I'm definitely done with that job. This will probably come out sounding terribly stuck-up, but that job is definitely below me. I resent that it makes me stressed out about silly things, how the jeans are folded or how much I have to pick up off the floor. I have respect for the people who do these things, I just don't feel that it's something I should get upset about or bitch about. I'm going to go hunt around and see if I can't find a place that's willing to hire another lifeguard, just to bring in some cash while I prepare for auditions. I'll get some from coaching, but it would be nice to get out of the house every now and again as well. Plus, it'll make me swim, I'll have no choice. :)

I spent so much time napping and lazing around today that I have no desire to go to bed, which is bad because I want to get up at a respectable hour and get stuff done. I'm tired of sleeping in so late (don't laugh at me, I am a nerd) and feeling like I only experience five hours of daylight (which is true). If it's nice tomorrow I'll go for a walk or ride my bike or do something! I've been slacking on exercise-which doesn't bother me so much as how I've spent the good portion of the last two months indoors. I'd feel better about myself if I get outside and get some fresh air.

Okay, enough talk. Gotta find something to wear myself out so I can actually do these things.