Tuesday, January 06, 2004

a bold statement

I'm going to risk incurring the wrath of Grant Harville, Chris McGann, Shaun Haber, and any one else I know who worships The Simpsons. But I have to say it, because it's true.

Futurama is just so much better.

First of all, any theme song that uses glockenspiel is genius, in my book.

On all levels the show is wittier, racier, and more intelligent than the Simpsons (although intelligent is always used loosely when referring to televison), and it's prettier too. Those yellow people always got on my nerves. I think it has something to do with having more options to work with: suburbia middle America or the wide wide universe. Which has more room for comedic gold, honestly?

I suppose you could make a case for both shows being genius as they are from the same pen, but I think that Futurama is Matt Groening all grown up and given free reign to really annoy people. The more I watch it, the less I am able to stomach half an hour of the Simpsons. Unfortunately for me, Futurama has been sent to rerun city and the Simpsons remains a prime time hit.

I haven't really much of a case here, as I haven't watched any of the new Simpsons episodes in a while, and I'm tired and in desperate need of snu-snu. I'm still impressed by the glockenspiel.