Saturday, January 03, 2004

the crazy things they do in sweden

I have been randomly getting the Christian Lindberg newsletter; I didn't sign up for it but I suspect they snagged my email address from the OTJ. Even if I knew where to sign up for CL's updates, I probably wouldn't. Because lately he's been getting on my nerves. Here's the latest:

>>Guess Lindberg´s Marathon time and win
Edition Tarrodi´s CL-Marathon-CD Box
On 5th of June Christian Lindberg will run a Marathon for the fourth time, in Stockholm, Sweden. First time in Stockholm it took him 4 hours and 15 minutes, second time in Berlin 3 hours and 54 minutes, but last year an injury stopped him at 29km. Edition Tarrodi, who publishes Christian´s compositions, will present no less than ten prizes to the ones who are closest in guessing Lindberg´s time this year.
There is no cost whatsoever involded. Just simply write the time you guess, together with your home adress to:

info@tarrodi.se<<

First off, if you don't know who CL is (and I can't blame you for trying), he's the Britney Spears of trombonists. Not to mock his talent (which is enormous) or his work ethic (you don't go from beginner to world performer in two years without doing some time in the practice room) of course, but puh-lease.

However. *Ahem* Lately CL seems to be...a tad full of himself? Getting this email is akin to receiving those family christmas letters that rave on and on about how wonderful the children are and what high powered career they have chosen. So Cl is raking in the dough composing, performing, recording and conducting, and he runs marathons on top of it all?

(is four hours good for a marathon? It'd probably take me four weeks, as I am, as always, NOT A RUNNER)

And what do you win if you guess his time correctly? Christian Lindberg goodies!!!
The first prize is 25 CL cds, and the runners up either get more cds or scores he's arranged.

Wow.

Too bad I have a hard enough time going to your run-of-the-mill CD shop and finding someone BESIDES Lindberg playing the David. Because I could win it too. Wow.

Well, I'm just being cynical anyhow. Anyone want to wager a guess? We can make an average of all the guesses logged on Buddha Stew and send in our answer. I'll burn you a copy of Christian Lindberg Plays the Classics with His Bumhole.

Or better yet, you can just have it.