Tuesday, January 06, 2004

a link, a button, and a rambling

Hilarious. Pamela Ribon is famous for her online journal, also she's written a book, Why Girls Are Weird, and screenplays and helped donate hundreds of books to the Oakland Public Libraries. She's also fuckin' hilarious. I laughed all the way through this entry. Enjoy, as a gift from me to you.

The button at your left is the US's current terror alert status. I'm freaking out man.

Speaking of terrorism, what do all y'all think of fingerprinting of foreigners visiting our country?

I'm not against it. Desperate times...well, at any rate, I think it's fine as long as it is used rationally and equally. I am a little disturbed by this:
"The only exceptions will be visitors from 27 countries; mostly European nations; whose citizens are allowed to come to the United States for up to 90 days without visas."

Hm, I personally think if we're going to put our spines up and distrust people, we should do it across the board, eh? Ah well, I'm not sure how much safer a fingerprint and a photo will make a plane with a terrorist on it, especially if that terrorist is not recognized or brand new. Well, I wouldn't mind being fingerprinted if traveling, but then again I'm whitebread and I get to do whatever I want. So is there a race/nationality issue here? Could this be abused by US officials if they "suspected" someone of "suspicious" behavior?

That wasn't what I was going to rant about, but no matter. I'll give you a topic:
Bring It On, while being your typical teen romantic comedy, appears to be at heart a feminist vehicle. Do you agree or disagree? Discuss amongst yourselves.