Monday, March 29, 2004

remember the alamo rental car license number

They seriously made a movie about The Alamo? I thought...but, wasn't it a bad thing? Slavery? Er?

I have done my web research. This here page says the Alamo is not quite the legend everyone thinks it is (but then, it wouldn't be a legend if it were true, would it?). The brief history at the official website of the Alamo reads like a sixth grader's oral presentation. Here's a timeline of events from the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (sounds like a party if I ever heard one).

I don't know about all of you, but I'm a little bit weary of historical events getting blown up into big and heroic embodiments of the "American pursuit of freedom" or whatnot. I know it's human nature to idolize and legendize things, but geez. It's like anything's an excuse to make a sweeping motion picture tear-jerker I love America movie. Actually, I'm tired of those kinds of movies anyway. Miracle comes to mind.

Oh yeah, and they're always about men. Men embodying the American pursuit of freedom and showing those dirty foreigners not to mess with Texas, or hockey. Going out and being manly. Other movies don't have to be about America. Like The Last Samurai. Or Dances with Wolves. Oh, yeah and Troy (although I am tempted to see it for the hottie fest it is). It's all such a crock of shit. And it's not like I want to see women in these roles, it's just that I'd like movies to being so inanely patriotic. Can you feel us getting dumber?

And yes, I will be exercising my political dollar and not seeing this movie. Or any of the other ones. I can't be any more eloquent on this topic as the sun has fried my brains. But I think you get what I mean: Here we have a historical event that has been blown out of proportion, given a fish eye lens, and allowed some major Hollywood stars to be big brave men. Yippee!! America is great! Coming out in 2169, September 11th starring Kevin Costner's head as George W. Bush and Al Pacino's head as Osama bin Laden! (obligatory Futurama reference) Actually, it probably won't take that long. I predict...oh, 20 years or so. Fred Savage's dramatic acting debut as our beloved pResident.